What Is an Excerpt?
An Excerpt is a brief summary of a blog post. This serves as a shortened version of your content — usually including just the blog intro or a general description — that appears on the blog page.
Excerpts provide key pieces of the post, and therefore, help blog readers easily identify which post contains the information they are looking for — without the need to open the full post.
Customising the Excerpt
Customise the excerpt of your blog posts using the steps below:
- Log In to access the Website builder dashboard.
- Under My Sites, click the Edit Site option on the website that you wish to manage.
- Click Blog from the left-side menu.
Note: If you can't find this option, make sure to enable Blog first before proceeding to these steps.
- You are now on the Blog sidebar. Click either the Published or Drafts tab depending on which post's excerpt you want to customise.
- Hover your pointer over the post title, click the [...] Ellipsis Icon on its right, and then click the Edit option.
You may also just directly click the post title.
- You'll be immediately directed to the Post Editor. Click the [<] Toggle Icon on the upper-right corner of the page to open the post editor's sidebar.
- Scroll down to Excerpt. Enter a custom 200-character excerpt in the field provided. Otherwise, a default excerpt will be displayed by the system.
Note: If you want to edit a new site, you have to unpublish the current website and make your new site as your primary website.
Under My Sites, click the [...] Ellipsis Icon on the top-right corner of the website to unpublish the current site. Click Unpublish Site, and then click Yes, Unpublish to confirm.
Under My Domains, click the [...] Ellipsis Icon of the website that you want to replace as your primary website, then click Replace Primary. In the pop-up window, select the domain of the new website in the New Primary Domain list, then click Replace Primary. You can also click the Domains tab under My Sites to perform the necessary steps mentioned.
You can now edit the new site that you wish to manage.
This setting is automatically saved and applied every time you make changes.
You've just successfully cusomised the excerpt of your blog post.