Keywords are words or phrases that define your online content. In Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), keywords are the terms that people type into search engines. They are also referred to as “search queries”.
Online marketers and SEO specialists use keywords to optimise their content. Content is optimised if it shows up in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) when people enter relevant keywords.
In a business perspective, keywords are essential as it makes sure that a brand gets a more visible presence on the internet.
What Is Keyword Research
Keyword Research is an SEO task done by identifying the most popular search queries that people use. The goal is to know which keywords to rank for in search engines.
Keyword research goes beyond knowing how many searches there are for a particular keyword. It’s finding out the different ways people use these keywords to research a specific idea.
Knowing the right keywords that people use and look for can help you create more targeted content. It can also drive the right traffic into your site and ultimately gain conversions.
Get Started with Keyword Research
Website owners and digital marketers can do keyword research themselves. The following steps will help you get started:
- Start with a “seed.”
A seed is the main idea, topic, or head keyword of your business or organisation. Your seed may be as simple as the product or service that you’re offering. If you’re selling clothes, then your seed can be “clothes.” If you’re a marketing company, then your seed can be “marketing.”
- Create a list of seeds.
Look for other terms that may be relevant to your business or organisation. Compile them in a list.
- Use a keyword tool.
Use your keyword list to jot down how popular each keyword is and how likely it is to rank on search engines. To do this, find a good keyword tool to use.
A Keyword Tool will help you find other keyword phrases based on your seed, referred to as long-tail keywords. For example, instead of just “clothes,” people could also be looking for “clothes for sale” or “business casual clothes.”
Here are some Free Keyword Tools that provide helpful features:
- Keyword Tool — uses Google Autocomplete to produce hundreds of relevant long-tail keywords for a particular seed. It also uses Google Suggest, which is an excellent feature for keyword research.
- Google Trends — is a keyword tool that identifies how popular a search term is at the moment. Through this tool, users can see whether or not a specific keyword is growing in popularity.
- Soovle — suggests keywords that people use in multiple search engines. This tool draws keyword ideas from Google, Amazon, Youtube, Bing, and more — all on one page.
- Jaaxy — generates thousands of relevant keywords within seconds. This tool provides valuable data with every keyword, including search volume, potential traffic, and competition.
- Answer the Public — generates questions, alphabetical lists, and prepositions related to your query. It's a helpful tool to use if you’re looking for content creation topics.
- Use these keywords in your content.
You can now integrate these keywords into your web content to make it visible and accessible on SERPs. If you want to know how you can use keywords in your Sitebeat website, refer to the following guide:
Read more on how to boost SEO for your website.